Skip to main content

Applying to the MS in Clinical Investigation

Program Application Process

Each applicant must submit the following:

1.   Curriculum Vitae (CV)

2.   Academic Transcripts from all prior institutions

3.   Personal Statement (one page, Arial 11-point font): Please highlight your academic preparation and interests, career goals, and motivation to complete the program of study.

4.   Research Statement (one page, Arial 11-point font): Please provide a statement of your research accomplishments to date.

5.   Letters of Support: Please provide letters from two professors/faculty mentors who are familiar with your research and/or academic success. For clinical faculty and fellows who are applying to the MSCI Program, an additional statement of protected time must be reviewed and submitted by their Division Chief.

How Do I Apply?

1.  Contact us

Send an email to, to let us know who you are and that you will be applying.  This is especially important for Track 1 students who are currently pursuing a PhD at the University of Utah.

2.  Arrange for transcripts

Have your transcripts sent to the University admissions office. Do this early because delay in receiving transcripts will hold up the University admissions process. Have official transcripts mailed to:

University of Utah, Admissions Office
201 South 1460 East, Room 250S
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9057

3.  Complete the online application

Fill out the University of Utah Graduate School Application. On the program information page under "Program of Interest", select Clinical Investigation MS as your intended graduate program and degree.

With the application you will upload (as a .doc or .pdf):

  • Unofficial transcripts
  • Your CV
  • Your personal statement (see above), and
  • Your research statement
  • Names of individuals who will provide "letters of reference", which for this program should be the letters committing mentorship and protected time as described above.

4.  Have recommendation and protected time letters sent

Request that these letters (see above for description) are sent electronically via the ApplyYourself website.


5. Apply for I-20 Certificate of Eligibility

After completing the online graduate student application (Step #3), students must then apply for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. An I-20 is necessary to apply for an F-1 student visa through a U.S. Consulate abroad or to maintain F-1 student status in the United States. The University of Utah begins processing I-20 Certificates of Eligibility for students after they have been admitted.

To learn how to apply for the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, please visit:

6. Apply for F-1 Student Visa

Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for your F-1 visa. To acquire this, you must fill out the online visa application, pay the non-refundable application fee, and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (excluding citizens of Canada and Bermuda.)


- Only students with a new SEVIS number are required to pay the fee - Print the receipt as proof of payment for your visa interview

Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee


Once completed, print the application form confirmation page to bring to your visa interview - You will be required to upload a photo to complete the application

Online Visa Application


Schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be sure to take all required documents with you to the interview, including:

- Passport - Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DA-160) - Application Fee payment receipt - I-20 Certificate of Eligibility - Additional documents may be required. Review instructions on the website of the Embassy or Consulate where you will apply.

7. Register for International Student Orientation

All international students (F-1 or J-1 student visa) are required to attend International Student Orientation during their first semester at the University of Utah. Additionally, students who have not been enrolled at the University for three consecutive semesters or more must attend this orientation again. For more information, please visit the International Student and Scholar Services website.



Contact Us

Kellie E. Brown, MS