Skip to main content

Certificate in Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER)

Certificate Overview

The purpose of the Comparative Effectiveness Research Certificate is to provide focused training and credentialing for faculty at all levels and students in an emergent area of health services research. The finality of Comparative Effectiveness Research is to assist consumers, purchasers, and policy makers to make informed decisions that will improve healthcare at both the individual and population levels.

This certificate will allow the trainees and investigators to be aptly prepared to conduct the highest quality research possible and effectively compete for external research funds. Further, the certificate helps communicate to proposal reviewers that investigators have focused training in patient centered outcomes research and/or comparative effectiveness research.


The courses comprising the certificate are offered during fall and spring semester; and each student may tailor his or her program of study to fit individual research interests and goals and may include courses offered by other departments with complementary curricula, namely human genetics, oncological sciences, biomedical informatics, or public health.

Total number of credits required to complete certificate: 15 credits

Course Prefix and Number Title Credit Hours
MDCRC 6270 Methods in Comparative Effectiveness Research 3.0
MDCRC 6950 Independent Study - Applied Learning 1.0-3.0
MDCRC 6340 Team Communication and Collaboration for Translational Research 1.0
MDCRC 6220 Survey Methods 2.0
MDCRC 6150 Foundations in Personalized Healthcare 2.0
MDCRC 6120 Cost Effectiveness Analysis 2.0

Certificate requirements

Admissions and Tuition


The minimum academic requirements for admission are as follows:

  • A bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college/university,
  • At least a 3.00 or higher undergraduate/graduate weighted mean GPA*
  • Complete an internal certificate application
  • Registration options:
    • Option 1: Enroll in a graduate program. If you are a matriculated student in a graduate program you must receive permission from your home program to earn the certificate. Please submit the agreement form to Kellie Brown at after permission is granted.
    • Option 2: Enroll as non degree seeking student( non matriculated). you must apply through the Office of Admissions as non degree seeking or non matriculated student.
  • International students must have an H visa to be eligible for the certificate program if a graduate program is not indicated. F1 or J1 visas are only acceptable if the student is in a graduate program. Students who hold an F1 or J1 visa and do not have a graduate program are not eligible for the certificate programs.
  • Letter from Program or Department Director stating commitment in supporting student's decision to pursue certificate and support with protected time for student to complete certificate.

After all of the steps have been completed, your file will be reviewed and you will be contacted by the Workforce Development foundation (Utah CTSI).

*Please note our deadlines are later than the University of Utah Admissions office and you will be responsible for any late fees.


Tuition Rates

Financial Aid

Financial aid in the form of loans may be available depending on need and availability of funds. For more information, please contact the University of Utah Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at 801-581-6211. The Division of Public Health does not offer financial aid students. Obtaining financial aid is the responsibility of the student.

Kellie E. Brown, MS
Academic Advisor II